Layers of guilt-free, cheesy goodness…
Never once did I think I could pull off my favorite comfort food in a low-carb and keto-approved version … until I decided to muster up some courage and give sliced zucchini a try!
We’ve been sharing a lot of our Fall Favorites like our Pumpkin Chip Cookies and Pumpkin Fluff, but what about an actual entree? This just has to be one of my favorites – love making a batch and having it portioned in my freezer. Stouffer’s, move over!
Now, to the recipe:
- 2 Large Zucchini, sliced lengthwise
- 1 Small Pepper, diced
- 1 Onion, diced
- 2 cups Spinach, chopped
- 1 container Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Egg
- 15 oz Ricotta Cheese
- 1 cup Mozzarella, shredded
- 1 cup Parmesan, grated or shredded
- 12 oz Tomato Sauce
- 1 pound 80/20 Ground Beef
- Your choices of spices – salt, pepper, garlic, parsley, basil, oregano
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees & grease 9×13 baking dish.
- Slice zucchini lengthwise into thin slices using a mandoline. Sprinkle slightly with salt to help absorb the water. Set aside to drain in colander.
- Prepare the meat sauce.
- Cook and stir ground beef with black pepper for about 5 minutes in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add in pepper and onion until meat is no longer pink.
- Stir in tomato sauce and your choice of spices. You may like to add tomato paste for thicker sauce – I added xanthan gum instead, to cut back on the carbs.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir egg and ricotta in a bowl to combine. You may like to add parsley or any other herbs/spices.
- Assemble the lasagna in baking dish.
- Spread 1/2 of the meat sauce into the bottom of baking dish.
- Layer 1/2 of the zucchini slices, just as you would pasta.
- Layer 1/2 of the ricotta mixture.
- Layer all of the spinach and mushrooms.
- Layer 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat with meat sauce, zucchini slices, ricotta, and mozzarella.
- Top with parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Raise oven to 350 degrees, remove foil, and bake for another 15 minutes. You may like to broil for a few minutes to get some color and crunch.
- Total Servings: 8
- Serving Size: 1
- Total Carbs: 16.2g (12%)
- Net Carbs: 11.7g
- Fat: 35.5g (58%)
- Protein: 40.9g (30%)
🍂 New Seasonal Food Hacks:
Low-Carb Fall Favorites